strange post photoalbum Apache/PHP error to view uploaded photos

Hi..

I've managed to finally get plupload.com-2.3.7 to correctly upload around 20GB of HD and 4K photos spread out over around 170 sub-folders into my CMS,
but after the upload, when i try to view the files, i get an Apache level "Access denied" message in the browser when i try to use https://github.com/nicerapp/nicerapp/blob/main/nicerapp/userInterface/photoAlbum/4.0.0/index.php to access the uploaded files.

I don't for the love of life itself can figure out why it's doing this, but i can tell you the following :
https://github.com/nicerapp/nicerapp/blob/main/nicerapp/userInterface/photoAlbum/4.0.0/upload.2.3.7.php shows debug information that lists the chown rene:www-data command on the files to fail, but that's understandable because apache runs as www-data:www-data.
However, the chmod 770 command on the files does succeed, and that means that any webpage that tries to read the files should be able to correctly get the files list for a sub-folder and the files therein.

- after running my https://github.com/nicerapp/nicerapp/blob/main/setPermissions.sh script after the upload has fully completed, the photoalbum/4.0.0/index.php display script works without the access denied bug and correctly displays the sub-folder contents.

i'm probably doing something wrong in some of my scripts, and i have a live demo for you to try at https://said.by (all you have to do is register on the site, but you don't need to click a confirmation email link yet),
and i'd like some help figuring out what i need to do differently..

Thanks in advance for any help you'll be able to provide.