Re: Help re PHP date function and help website

On 04/08/2021 07:07, gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello. I'm looking at the php date function. easy enough.

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

However

Question:- where is the help page to tell us what all the various
letters mean ?

January (month in full)
Jan  (small month )   etc...

i remember this from somewhere but i cant find it on the above page.
The format character list is on https://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.format.php (DateTime(Immutable) and date() share the same list for output format)

This is linked to from the 'format' parameter description.

QUESTION: How do we ask / recommend that the page be amended ? -0 to
add all the letters & meanings, or add a link to the page that tells
us that ?
There's a "Report a Bug" link at the top right of every manual page (under the language select drop-down) which takes you to the docs issue tracker. You can use this to suggest changes as well as reporting errors.

You can also submit a pull request with your suggested change. There's instructions for setting up a local copy of the manual in the doc-base repo readme: https://github.com/php/doc-base

Question- what are the letters  for a full month, and big month ?

ADMIN:-  can the 'help' email command be added at the bottom of each message ?

php-general-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  - took me 20 mins to find / try it,

With regards to help using the mailing list, you can find this on the php.net website by going to Get Involved => Mailing List (at the bottom under "Useful links for developers"), then the command help is at the bottom of the page. (I'm not a list admin or core developer, so can't make any modifications). You can use GitHub search to find the file to edit by searching for the function / method name or a piece of text on the page ("date" brings up a lot of results, but if you search for the function description "format a local time/date" instead, it's the ~5th result)