Re: Why FastCGI?

> Eh, why? If you do not upload files, you don't need a shared volume.

True. I suppose you can just passthrough any “.php” from nginx to fastcgi without verifying existence and then rely on php-fpm completely to handle failures.
Then of course you would have to ensure that all static files are built into the nginx container while the php files are in the php-fpm container.

> And will still need shared volume in same cases you would for CGI link.

unless of course - similar to the php built-in you make it also respond to non-php files. Then you can add nginx as a layer (as mentioned in my previous post) but they both will work completely independently - file-wise.

> Er, I use TCP for my PHP FPM. For years.

You are quoting me out of context so it makes little sense. I never said you couldn’t nor did I say a shared volume is required for fast_cgi_pass.

> That says so much about people building these containers…

Always easier to dismiss people than to put yourself in someone else’s shoes to understand their problem :)