Re: libcurl(?) bug

On 09.02.2021 at 13:42, Tamas Papp wrote:

> On 2/9/21 1:30 PM, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
>>
>>>    // NOK:
>>>    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array("Accept: /\r\n"));
>> I don't think that CURLOPT_HTTPHEADERs are supposed to have a trailing
>> CRLF.
>

> However, I agree with you on that, since it breaks a previously
> correctly working code, it still looks like a bug.
>
> Unless the backward compatibility intentionally should not be kept for
> any reason.
>

> Am I wrong?

>From looking at the current PHP-7.4 implementation, these headers are
forwarded to curl_easy_setopt() as is.  The libcurl documentation of
CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER[1] explicitly states:

| The headers included in the linked list must not be CRLF-terminated,
| because libcurl adds CRLF after each header item. Failure to comply
| with this will result in strange bugs because the server will most
| likely ignore part of the headers you specified.

The only thing PHP could do here, would be to strip CR and LF from the
passed headers; at least it could be documented that the headers must
not be CRLF-terminated.  Consider to file a bug report at
<https://bugs.php.net/>.

[1] <https://curl.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER.html>

Christoph