How do we know ...

With distros disabling PHP7.0 and as a result PHP7.2 upgrades being applied despite ( I thought ) being locked out, I THEN find problems even with the PHP7.0 machines with thumbnails not being generated from the pdf uploads. The original problem was letsencrypt stopping updating the certs and complaining about python files not being available! Luckily this was before they expired, but not the first time it's background process has stopped working and I have lost sites.

Just how do we set things up so that WE control just what is updated and what is not? I know it's a distro problem, but I suspect the solution has to be NOT loading PHP, Nginx and Firebird from the distribution at all? Yet we are reliant on secondary software load by the distribution. The PDF problem turned out to be a change to how 'convert' using ImageMagick actually decides if it is going to handle a file format - the change stopped it READING the file. I don't even remember updating that machine since it worked on Monday!

I've now got to go through all the sites and fix 'count()', 'each()' and random complaints about 'numbers' so I can stop hiding the deprecated messages but I had to switch off all errors just to get the machine live again and my machines have always run with errors being displayed as THAT helps when things do go wrong! None of these give me anything but a waste of even more time :( Just when did it become necessary to add typing everywhere to stop new messages?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL