PHP 7.2.9 error => fopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1.

PHP 7.2.9 with openssl 1.1.0i on php-fpm

I just updated to PHP 7.2.9 from PHP 5.6.30 and I have resolved many of the
problems but this one's got me.  The full error message is:

--------------
PHP Warning:  fopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error
messages:\nerror:1416F086:SSL
routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in
/httpd/xxxx.php on line 9999
---------------

and a number of derived errors following.  I reverted to 5.6.30 and this open()
works properly so it is related to PHP 7 somehow.

Googling turned up many possible answers but none of them seem to work on my PHP
here.  The most common answer is to put this in the script ahead of the open:

stream_context_set_default( [
        'ssl' => [
                'verify_peer' => false,
                'verify_peer_name' => false,
                 ],
        ]);

Other than being a huge security hole, it doesn't work.  The location I am
trying to open has a valid certificate and the signing CA is Verisign so it is
unlikely that openssl doesn't have the current CA certificate available.

How would I proceed to debug this?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

John