Re: Php version

On Thursday 08 February 2018 15:15:09 Dan McCullough wrote:
> Not a silly question at all.
> You can find items here for incompatible and depreciated for migrating
> from one version to the next.
> http://us1.php.net/manual/en/appendices.php
>
> You could then roll with something like this -- if you can excuse shell
> scripts
> https://gist.github.com/waja/6552974 -- was for people migrating from
> 5.3 to 5.4 -- which one of my hosting companies did 2 years ago.
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Philip <philip@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Silly Question, But is there a list somewhere of deprecated functions?
> >
> > On 09/02/2018 06:41, Bastien Koert wrote:
> >> Hey David,
> >>
> >> The thing to check is the usage of any deprecated functions like
> >> eregi or mysql_ functions. They will break under php 7 since they’ve
> >> been removed.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Bastien

The first part of this post contains a question that doesn't seem to have
been answered: given that  there are three active versions of PHP, 5.6,
7.0, and 7.1, what is the difference between them?  The documentation
available online doesn't seem to say that one is "better" or "more secure"
or "faster" than any other.

Here, due to problems getting 7.1 under PHP-FPM to run a year ago, I backed
off to 5.6 and I'm wondering whether the pain of trying to "upgrade" again
is worth it.

So, can some knowledgeable person give a succinct definition of why one
would run a specific version?  It boggles the mind that there would be that
many versions maintained if there isn't some significant difference between
them.

John