Re: Hello

On 8/28/2017 12:34 PM, Leam Hall wrote:

Alan, here's the deal. If PHP does what you need and you enjoy it, then jump right in. Lots of people, including me, have fretted over "the perfect language". I don't have time to learn the perfect language for each task. Don't have the brains for it either.

I'm with you. I like PHP partly because it's familiar -- I know C and awk fairly well -- and partly because it has many extra capabilities that simplify programming. And it's a fun challenge.

If the language is fun for you then you will probably write more code in it than "the perfect language" that isn't as fun. More code == better coding skills.

I've done PHP for CLI stuff because I was doing PHP at the time and enjoying the heck out of it. As you move to Linux you'll need some shell and another language. Most folks use Python for scripting and C for systems work. That's where the job market is. If you're doing your own thing then PHP, Ruby, Go, or whatever is just fine. They are all free and have more to explore than you can get to in a year.

I already know Unix/Linux fairly well, and know many of the advantages and limitations of shell scripting. Haven't yet had the need/opportunity to learn Python, but likely I'll start that soon. Mostly this is for learning interesting stuff that I never had time for when I was still working.

Alan