Re: AW: Hello

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 11:34 -0700, Sam Hobbs wrote:
> Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> > What is a Stack?
>
> I have been programming since 1971 and I have seen the term "stack"
> but
> never taken the time to look it up. I assume it is another of many
> words
> that are used just to be different and that other terms (such as
> library
> or API) would also work.

The stack refers to the whole architecture, e.g. Linux Apache MySQL PHP
(LAMP)

Library is a collection of classes/functions usually, sometimes as
compiled code and not PHP source, that performs a specific task (or a
group of related tasks). An example would be something like the GD
library, which adds lots of image functionality to PHP.

An API is an interface, which could be a remote one like in the case of
Twitter, or a local one, such as an interface to a database.

--
Thanks,
Ash

http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk