Re: Re: header() not working?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Christoph M. Becker <cmbecker69@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 08.12.2016 at 17:30, Tedd Sperling wrote:
>
> > Hi gang:
> >
> > For several years I have had an example of a redirect working on my
> college’s Server for my students to review.
> >
> > The code is simple:
> >
> > header ("Location:$where");
> > exit(0);
> >
> > The $where is URL’s such as “amazon.com” coming from a POST:
> >
> > $where = isset($_POST['where']) ? $_POST['where'] : null;
> >
> > Like I said, this has worked for years and now it doesn’t.
> >
> > I suspect something has changed in the school’s Server, but I don’t know
> what that may be.
> >
> > Any ideas as to why and how to fix it?
>
> Have you checked that no output has been generated before these lines
> are executed?  Even a single space could stop the headers from being
> sent.  I suggest you enable error_reporting, and check the respective
> log file; there you might find something like "Cannot send headers.
> Headers already sent".

If having passed that check, have you verified the header isn't returned?
If it is, the browser may not be respecting it, because according to the
specification[1] "The field value consists of a single absolute URI", and
the string "amazon.com" does not validate as an absolute URI according to
the specs for that[2] which states "absoluteURI    = scheme ":" *( uchar |
reserved )".

[1] - https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30
[2] - https://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.0/spec.html#URI