Re: Catch line indetation

String functions are very fast. Regexes have to be compiled under the hood
to take advantage of their speed. PHP does this behind the scenes. So, if
you are only looking for spaces it's going to run faster in my humble
opinion.

However, I agree that regexes are probably better in any case, because they
are much more powerful and for someone who understands them, just as easy
to read if not easier, especially in this example.

The difference in performance is probably not noticeable, especially not
nowadays. Saving developer time is more important and I would use regexes
as well.

I could be wrong about regexes being slower. It's just what I read
somewhere. I guess one would have to do the test on a large input to verify
on a case by case basis. As far as I understand regexes have to perform
string functions also, which I think are probably more complicated than in
this example. Again, something to test.

I would want to know, just out of interest though. :-)