Trying to Play Catch-Up & get the Bigger Picture

Hi all,

A bit of a layman - general question trying to get the bigger picture...

It has been a few years since I have used PHP with MySQL database. I understand that the older original MySQL extension has been deprecated, In favor of MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extensions..

Currently, I am looking into building so mobile friendly Apps/Websites that use JavaScript (json - jQuery etc.) css and html5 on the front end, And PHP and MySQL on the backend.

So the question is, big picture, What is the best way to interface with MySQL for this purpose? Would I use:

- MySQLi
- PDO_MySQL (Am I correct in assuming that PDO is helpful if one may need to move to another database system in the future?)

- or maybe web services REST
- or ???

Any links to this general subject would be helpful/

--
Thanks,
Dave - DealTek