Re: Allowed memory size exhausted

On Oct 11, 2015, at 9:41 PM, Gener Badenas <gener.ong.badenas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2015, at 9:21 PM, Aziz Saleh <azizsaleh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Getting this error:
> > Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 103809024 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in [...]/html/wp-includes/cache.php on line 113
>
> Could it be that other wordpress plugins are consuming the memory? Or just your custom code?
>

> > It is being generated by a script that reads a excel file and then updates a database with the new info.
> > I have went in and unset all arrays that were set along the way to alleviate to no avail. Got down to 9 bytes once though.
> > However, my question isn't about allocating memory. I know how to do that server side, but I want to avoid that.
> >
> > This is a simple order database with fields filled with order info. Nothing complicated.
> > What I am wondering is what is the best way to avoid this memory issue knowing there will be a lot of entries to go through.
> > To read each field from the spread sheet and insert individually? Read all fields from spread sheet and then insert individually?
> > Any known ways of reading all and inserting all at the same time? Suggestions?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Best,
> >
> > Karl DeSaulniers
> > Design Drumm
> > http://designdrumm.com
> >

> > To avoid memory issues, I would do each row individually, reading the file line by line, using something like fgetcsv/fgets.
> >
> > If you attempt the read entire file and insert, you would be a hostage to the file size of the file. Doing it line by line way avoids this issue even if you have a 10GB file.
>

> Thanks Aziz,
> That is what I was thinking since at the moment it is how you describe. Reading everything from the sheet first and then inserting.
> My task is now how to iterate each individually, however I have a dependent. PHPExcel.
> Not sure how to utilize this and read only one line at a time.
> I appreciate the corroboration.
>
> Best,
>
> Karl DeSaulniers
> Design Drumm
> http://designdrumm.com

The prior developer had all the information being pushed into multiple arrays.
I tried reducing these arrays as I felt it was redundant. Not thinking of the memory size at that point,
but you would think in reducing the number of arrays storing the same info would reduce memory usage.
And it did, but still seems a beggar route when there is a better and more efficient way to do this.

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com