Re: Database Insert/Update/Delete

Not knowing the actual case:

On 2015-10-10 19:17, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Sat, 2015-10-10 at 14:11 +0700, Mogens Melander wrote:
 From the manual:

11.2.6. REPLACE Syntax

On 2015-10-09 03:45, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is a bit of an odd one, and while it's largely an SQL problem, it
> will have PHP logic because SQL just doesn't have quite the syntax.
>
> I'm sure this is a standard problem that has a standard solution, but
> as
> of yet, I've not come across said solution.
>
> I need to update a series of data in a DB. Some of it may exist
> already,
> and some may need to be removed.
>
> Now the typical for updating (but not removing) data and adding new is
> the familiar:
>
> INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ...
>
> syntax, but what about those bits which might need removing?
>
> What's the typical solution that any of you use? I normally just empty
> all rows of data sharing the common id for the set of data and then
> insert new rows, but that seems wasteful to me, and less clean than it
> ought to be.

Hi Mogens,

I dismissed that mainly because ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE syntax does that
anyway, but allows me to retain the primary keys.

Also, REPLACE wouldn't solve the deleting extra records issue (e.g.
where the db contains 10 and I'm only updating with 8, so 2 would need
to go). Thank you for the help though.

A combination of INSERT IGNORE and REPLACE <something> would normally
do the job. But then again. This is a PHP list, and you are asking MySQL
questions.

What exactly are you looking for?

--
Mogens