Re: expect_expectl: how to show the part of the stream that itis matching against

On 03.08.2015 at 22:35, jm+php-general@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 02-Aug-15, jm+php-general@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 02-Aug-15 20:01, Aziz Saleh wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want what is coming from the server, you would store the
>>> results of expect_expectl in a variable and output it. Unless you
>>> mean something else by the buffer!
>> AFAICS there is no way to store the result as there is no result per se.
>>
>> There is only the $match variable which is empty if there was no match.
>>
>> Also, defining a wildcard match in $cases proves unsuccessful as you
>> can't
>> order thoses cases, meaning if you simply put a "*" match there that
>> you'd
>> think would act as a fallback, then it always matches that and none of
>> the
>> other patterns anymore.
>>
>> Furthermore, in the "default" case of the switch statement, the $match
>> variable doesn't seem to be populated at all.
>>
>> Finally, it doesn't seem to perform the pattern lookup line by line,
>> otherwise the default case would be hit way more often in my case.
>
> I still haven't made headway.
>
> Since matching a wilcard doesn't work as described above, I tried what
> they did here
> (https://code.google.com/p/networkautomation/source/browse/trunk/bin/expect.php?r=1)
> which is trying to match "(.....)", that is, not a wildcard but 1024 or
> 2048 characters, and buffer the contents that way on their way to the
> prompt.
>
> ---------- START CODE --------
>
>   $buffer = "";
>   $dots   = str_repeat(".", 2048);
>
>   $cases = array(
>     array(0=>$prompt,   1=>'PROMPT', 2=>EXP_REGEXP),
>     // a real wilcard match (.*) doesn't work because it always matches
>     // and all other things never will, therefore try to capture a
> limited amount
>     array(0=>"($dots)", 1=>'BUFFER', 2=>EXP_REGEXP)
>   );
>
>   while (true) {
>     switch (expect_expectl($stream, $cases, $match)) {
>       // for some reason, this case has to be first....
>       case 'BUFFER':
>   echo "\n\n ______________________ BUFFERING ____________________ \n\n";
>         $buffer .= $match[1];
>         $break;
>
>       // Note: We don't have to check any specific precondition
>       // Having the prompt is precondition enough to continue working
>       case 'PROMPT':
>   echo "\n\n _____________________ FOUND PROMPT __________________ \n\n";
>         $buffer .= $match[0];
>
> ---------- END CODE --------
>
> I must say that doesn't work either in my case. It matches the BUFFER
> case once, and then goes to PROMPT, even if there was no prompt that I
> could see.
>
> Basically I'd like to be able to process each line of the stream
> regardless if it matches the prompt or not.
>
> Is anyone actually using this built-in expect thingy successfully or am
> I too stupid to use it correctly?

> [...]

Have you tried to apply standard streams functions to the expect stream?
 Presumably, the expect stream is not seekable, but for debugging
purposes it still might be viable to call fread($stream, 1024) and print
out the result, or something like that.

--
Christoph M. Becker