Re: When to instantiate a new class

On 17 June 2015 21:56:03 BST, Ramiro Barrantes <ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This is a very basic question, i just don't know php well enough to
>know what's best.  I have a screen class and a database class.  The
>screen class handles everything related to what goes on the screen, but
>its many functions often need to use the database class to get relevant
>information.  The question I have is:
>
>How often should I instantiate the database class? Should I do it once
>with say, the constructor of the screen class? Or with the specific
>method, or pass it as a variable?
>
>For example:
>
>INSTANTIATING WITHIN EACH FUNCTION
>function method($variable) {
>   $db = new databaseInterface():
>}
>
>or
>
>PASSING IT AS A VARIABLE FOR EACH FUNCTION
>function method($variable,$db) {
>}
>
>or
>
>CREATING IT AS PART OF THE SCREEN CONSTRUCTOR AND ACCESSING IT WITH A
>"getter"
>class screen {
>  private $db;
>  function construct() {
>     $db=new databaseInterface();
>  }
>
>  function getDatabaseInstance() {
>    return($db);
> }
>}
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ramiro

I would actually use a Singleton pattern for the database class, and then you can call that from within each method of your screen class. It's a fairly typical practice for database classes to ensure you're not creating too many connections to it (which can be a blocker later on if many people are using your website)

Ash