Re: Memory corruption bug

Tiago Marques wrote:

> I've been running a PHP server with Wordpress for a good while now,
> when I stumbled upon a problem uploading some posts, where the script
> would enter a loop and run till it crashed, running out of process
> memory.
>
> I managed to create a test case based on Wordpress's code and my HTML
> content, then narrowed down the loop and variables that are being
> (apparently) corrupted in some way:
>
> The relevant variables are $i and $l, which at the time the code blows
> up, store 68 and 71, as integers. These are summed as a parameter to
> substr() in the loop, which gets a float instead of the value "139".
> The rest of the code runs a $text var and a $newtext var, upon which
> the force_balance_tags() function from formatting.php iterates.
> These are the dumps at the time when the code does bad things:
>
> $i: int(68)
> $l: int(71)
> $i + $l: float(9.7837007760303E+18)
>
> Only the sum gives wrong results, the other operations like
> subtraction and multiplication produce accurate results. This only
> happens in this iteration of the loop.
>
> Previously, I managed to circumvent the bug by copying the $text
> variable into another variable, just before the line with the two
> substr() operations on $text, which was were the code was having
> problems. After a while of successfully posting my edits without
> knowing anything more about the problem, I noticed this might be a
> more widespread problem when Wordpress started producing garbage HTML
> on some strings, in other places, and went looking deeper.
>
> I tried to find a way to maybe debug this but have no idea of how to
> look at process memory in php, or what to look for. I have a test case
> to submit but am unsure if I should file a bug or if I'm posting in
> the right mailing list at all.

If you have a small self-contained test case to demonstrate the erratic
behavior, I suggest you file a bug report on <https://bugs.php.net/>.
If you are not sure whether it is a bug in PHP, you can post the code
here.  If the reproduce code is long, it might be best to post it
somewhere else (e.g. <https://gist.github.com/>), and only send a link
to this mailing list resp. the bug tracker.

--
Christoph M. Becker