compilation and installation of php?

Hello;
I am in the process of setting up a FreeBSD v10.1 system with
apache 2.4x and php v5.6.9.

The online installation documentation relative to installing
for use with apache 2.x on unix systems is not aware of
apache version 2.4

Are there any significant differences?

There is a warning about using prefork MPM

The Apache documentation:
The following table lists the default MPMs for various operating systems. This will be the MPM selected if you do not make another choice at compile-time.

Netware
mpm_netware
OS/2
mpmt_os2
Unix
prefork, worker, or event, depending on platform capabilities
Windows
mpm_winnt
Here, 'Unix' is used to mean Unix-like operating systems, such as Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc.

In the case of Unix, the decision as to which MPM is installed is based on two questions:

1. Does the system support threads?

2. Does the system support thread-safe polling (Specifically, the kqueue and epoll functions)?

If the answer to both questions is 'yes', the default MPM is event.

If The answer to #1 is 'yes', but the answer to #2 is 'no', the default will be worker.

If the answer to both questions is 'no', then the default MPM will be prefork.

In practical terms, this means that the default will almost always be event, as all modern operating systems support these two features.

It's been a while since I have done this and I am refreshing
my memory as I go along.

I intend to enable gd with freetype support and there are some
dependencies that I remember were necessary: zlib, as I recall
But I don't remember where the dependencies for various extensions
are specified.

Thank you for time and attention
JK