ZipArchive headache

I have held off on posting this pending an implementation of a script that uses a formal
synchronous POST strategy, AND IT WORKED.

So there are now two "gotcha's"
1: ZipArchive won't create an empty zip file, but will return a positive result

2: Apparently, after the exercise below: A zip file will not be created using an async request. And will give the persistent result as below. That is
   the common link in all the different dev server installations.

----The message as I originally composed and saved as a draft---------
I have been struggling with this and am continuously running up against this wall;

1: I originally was get ZipArchive::CREATE to work on iMac (Mac OSX w/ Apache) as
    local dev server.

2: This machine began giving me the ominous click of death (hard drive about to bail out) sounds. So I switched to another Mac with Yosemite, (Latest OSX version) thinking that a newer version of
    php would be installed.
I got the same story. The code below is also wrapped in a class def. That is when I started getting the error code, and that is why I tried to isolated it to get it to work again.

3: I also go a new Mac Mini and switch to that thinking maybe a newer version of php:
    Same story.

4: Meanwhile back at the iMac, the hard drive was not about to cr*p out. The clicking sounds must have been coming from stereo system playing percussion instruments

5: So now I am back at the iMac where I was able to get the code to work originally.

And now I am getting the same @#$!! story.

The calls to header, print, and exit are in response to async get queries. $_constER is an array I culled from the various error codes according to the
documentation.

else if($_GET['newArchAlt'])
     {
      //header('Content-Type: text/plain');
      //print $_GET['newArchAlt'];
      //exit;
      require_once("php/zpArchConst.php");
      //$_constER;
      $_alt = new ZipArchive();
$_ret = $_alt->open(getcwd().'/'.$_GET['newArchAlt'], ZipArchive::CREATE);
      header('Content-Type: text/plain');
print $_ret.': '.$_constER[$_ret].": ".$_GET['newArchAlt']; // result appears below
      exit;

The result as printed in the initiating page:

1: ZipArchive::ER_MULTIDISK|Multi-disk zip archives not supported: test-2.zip So, essentially the same code on three different machines, when one initially
was working.
I don't know if anyone has a suggestion. I have posted about this issue several weeks ago and the suggestion that I try deleting the file before trying to create it. But I still get the same
story, and it doesn't exist before trying to create it.