apache2 and pcntl_signal

Hi,

pcntl_signal is undefined in php when called from apache2. I have:
1) Noted many comments that pcntl_fork() is not supported in apache2 mode. But nothing about other pcntl functions
      1a) Since they are by default in the disable-functions list, one would think they are supported if removed from that list
1) Tried just changing php.ini to remove all disable-functions; did not work.
2) downloaded the source for apache2  2.4.12
    ./configure --enable-so
2) downloaded sources for php 5.6.8
    ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --enable-pcntl --enable-shmop --enable-sysvmsg --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm

Still, pcntl_signal is undefined when called from apache, but fine from the cli.
I had been using Cherokee, and there was never a problem (once php was built with enable-pcntl). I am now regretting moving to apache :( And may just have to go back to Cherokee.

For those wondering, I have a shared memory segment to a c++ proc. The two ends put data in shared memory and need to signal to the other when data is there. I have a semaphore in php land so that only one php process accesses shared memory at a time, but any php process can signal to the c++ process. To do this with sockets/pipes would be more complicated in that a separate connection to each php process would be needed. This was (suppose) to be the easier path. And it was, with Cherokee.

Any help on this would be really appreciated!!

Jeremy