implementing downloads with php?

Hi;

This is new territory for me a maybe a bit off topic but
I am interested in finding out how to implement a downloading
mechanism with php and without using ftp (if possible).

I am understanding that http has a 'put' command. Is this the clue?

When a file is downloaded from a site, like, for instance, a source
code file from a directory. If the user does not have an ftp client, does
the browser negotiate an ftp connection? As an application this could
be used for file transfer via a web site.

Thanks for time and attention
JK