RE: Meaning of some "Magic constants"?

That is correct on item #1, things like ioncube also break it

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffry Killen [mailto:jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 09:11 PM
To: PHP General list
Subject:  Meaning of some "Magic constants"?

Hello;

I have been looking at my copy of the php manual, at magic constants and
have a question about two of them.

1: __line__ : I presume that this would be irrelevant if a script file was
compressed by removing all the superfluous white space, including line
breaks and tabs? (Although since php is not exposed to the client unless the
developer uses highlight_file or highlight_string,  compressing it this way
is not too useful)

2: __trait__: This is the first time I have run into this term in a
programming context. What does it mean? In the manual there is an
associative reference to namespace. Perhaps I should read up on namespaces
relative to php. The only other context I am aware of the term is in XML
This is a bit confusing because I have seen the term used referring to
object/property relationships, such as in javascript.

Specifically, you can create an object through the use of a constructor
function

function SomeJSObj()
                {
                  this.introduce = function(a)
                         {
                           alert('Hi, I am '+a)
                         }
                }

var guy = new SomeJSObj()

guy.introduce('Joe') // -> alert dialog -> "Hi, I am Joe"

So the function/property 'introduce' is namespaced by the object guy.

So, how is it different than a member function or variable of a class that
can only be accessed via reference to an object instance?

Then, finally, how does the term inferred by __trait__ relate?

Thank you for time and attention;
JK