Re: Re: Behavior of the sleep function?

On Mar 11, 2015, at 4:17 PM, Christoph Becker wrote:

Jeffry Killen wrote:

On Mar 10, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Christoph Becker wrote:

I just found <http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp/8/11/0>, where a very
simplistic example of flock() in combination with sleep() is given.

Please don't forget to "reply to all" next time.

O.K. I looked at the link and that is essentially what my code is trying
to do:
I.E. obtain a lock, print some text and then call sleep. But the text that
is supposed to be returned before the call to sleep() doesn't show up
until the first query is done, then the second query returns (with, as you
indicated, adding a call to flock in the second query handling code.)

That is why I presumed that sleep() was using output buffering.

Ah, now I understand.

Anyhow, sleep() does not use output buffering or has anything to do with
it.  If formerly printed output is not send to the browser, that is
either caused by PHP[1] or by the webserver. You can try to flush() [2]
the output before calling sleep().

[1] <http://php.net/manual/en/outcontrol.configuration.php>
[2] <http://php.net/manual/en/function.flush.php>

Thank you kindly. This will probably good to know in the future.
JK