Re: Passing information across pages (please ignore previous message)

On Mar 11, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Tiago Hori wrote:

Folks,

I have a PHP application that stores fairly large datasets. Each data set is composed of data points for 96 markers in 96 individuals. Right now, the user can either download the whole dataset or supply a list of markers in a txt file. However, the users want me to make a pop up form (I was thinking
radio buttons) in which they can select the markers they want from the
dataset.

So I was thinking of a scheme where I would use java script to open another window, where the form with the radio buttons would be populated based on the database. The user would select the markers he wants and I would store
that in session array.

Then I can use the selection in the script that actually processes the data.

Does that sound feasible and relatively efficient?

T.

HI;

If you are going to use javascript to open the window, the window will have a javascript based reference to the window with the script that opened it as

window.opener

for the most part you will have access via this reference to scripts and elements in the opening
window and document objects.

In the secondary window you would have some kind of javascript enabled
element that would take the users selections and send it to a function in the window.opener window to process from there (instead of a form submission button)

This requires a fair amount of javascript familiarity to implement.
But it would take some load off the server, and if security is a concern, the users data choices won't be exposed to the network until some final submission processing is done. The user WILL need javascript enabled. And if all browser types are to be allowed for, both DOM compatible and Internet Explorer browsers must be coded for.

The most significant difference between DOM browsers and Internet Explorer is the way that event listeners are assigned and removed; different syntax for each.
Also the "ajax" XMLHttpRequest object syntax will be different.

I hope this is useful.
JK