Re: Open, edit & save document via browser

On 23/01/2015 15:47, Stuart Dallas wrote:
> On Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 2:41 pm, Adrian Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, wrote:
>

> Sorry, perhaps I should have explained in a little more detail in my original email.
>

> Basically users can create templates in the system using docx documents.  These templates can be populated defined place holders and when they generate a document in some content from the system the place holder values will get replaced with actual values.  The generated document is automatically stored within a documents repository in their account.  Users may want to edit these generated documents to make small amendments to them.  Currently they have to download the document to their local machine, make the changes and upload it back again which results in them having two versions of the same document (unless the delete the previous version).  To make this easier for users I wanted to see if there was some mechanism so when they open the document for editing on their local machine that this could be saved directly back to the server overwriting the original document.
>

> I don't want to insist that users have a subscription to Office 365 etc in order to use this feature in the system as many have a version of MS Office or OpenOffice already installed locally on their machine.
>
> Other than the Dropbox-style approach the only other way I can think of right now is to implement a Java applet that downloads the file and opens it locally, then watches it for changes and uploads it as necessary. Not a very clean solution.
>

> -Stuart

Hi,

This is exactly the problem.  Web browsers are isolated from the local
file system for security reasons.

Rather than use dropbox, you could set up an OwnCloud server
[http://owncloud.org/] which is the open source equivalent.

You can then watch for changes to files using the php function
inotify_add_watch
[http://php.net/manual/en/function.inotify-add-watch.php].

When a modified file is found you could then trigger the upload to AWS.

Ian