Re: Open, edit & save document via browser

On Friday, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:59 pm, Adrian Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, wrote:
I'm trying to find a solution which via our application would open a
document (docx) stored on AWS S3 allowing a user to make amendments to the
document on their local machine via MS Office or OpenOffice but when they
click save it would automatically save the document all the way back to S3.

Is this something that would be possible to implement and if so I'd
appreciate any suggestions as how I would go about it.  I've had a look at
Webdav but I'm don't think it's suitable for this task as the documents are
stored in various different accounts on the system plus I can't see how to
push this all the way back to S3.

You’re basically asking for an implementation of DropBox, and there’s no way I’d choose PHP to implement something like that. There are apps that can mount an S3 bucket as a local drive, but again that’s not something you’d do with PHP.

To get PHP involved (tho I don’t see why you would) you’d need the user to take the extra step of uploading the edited document when they’re done.

However, why not just have them use Office365?

-Stuart

--

Stuart Dallas

3ft9 Ltd