Authentication system?

Hello All,

I had written a user authentication/management system w/PHP & MySQL several
years back and while we still have the code to potentially use a
springboard to go forward, you know how sometimes it's just not the same as
modern code per say.

I wanted to see if maybe there is an open source, well managed app/code out
there which does the same thing that we may be better off using rather then
cleaning up old code.

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:
System that manages users to gain access to whatever custom app we want.

System Features:
Get approved (manual process)
Notifications on registration, approval or denial of access.
Password recovery
Ability to have sub users managed by the main user account.
Management:
Accept or deny registration requests
See a login log
See a management log of who approved/denied users.
Manage active users.

I appreciate your help!

--
Thanks!