Re: best is multiple domain or language switch

On 30/10/14 09:59, Rafnews wrote:
> Can you tell me why are they doing this ?
> because it means that all domains share the same DB but only domain is
> used for SEO and to easily manage languages.
> However it means they must update each domain separately when they
> change code.
>
> So why are they doing this ?

As Arno said ... we tend to be forced to buy up every domain ending just
to keep squatters or speculators off a particularly important brand
name, so why not sue them. The SEO stuff can be a problem with some
processes complaining of duplicate copies of domains, but that is just a
broken crawling process. Some of the 'audits' will complain when you
have different languages accessing material that can't be translated, so
you can't win which ever way you go :(

Internally, all the different routes can eventually go to the same
single site. It does depend on how you handle all the translations, and
it may be easier to keep the one set of 'workings' such as all the
generic wrappers, but maintain separate manual translations of the
content, or alternatively have a system which populates a generic
template with translated content from the database.

One can safely break the domian names and url's used to access a site
from the underlying processing of the site.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL