Re: mail() doesn't work

On Sep 13, 2014, at 6:20 PM, Jim Giner wrote:

On 9/13/2014 9:11 PM, richard gray wrote:

Sorry for not being clear ...can you run shell commands from PHP -- that
would allow you to execute Ken's diagnostics suggestion below:-

>> mail -vvv -s "test mail" to_address_goes_here < /dev/null
I do not know of what you speak. I only have a hoster - no php on my laptop.

I have some info that might be useful:
If you have a Mac OSX laptop, it has Apache with php pre-installed. You have to edit the http.conf file to turn on php. I believe you can also install a php CLI (command line interface)

But the command above, I thing would be run from a shell. It can be run if you have a mail server installed and working, such as sendmail or Postfix ( I know there are several other MTA's such as exim4 and others but I don't have any experience with them). So the 'mail' shell command would call the resident MTA.

I don't have any experience with Windows platform but there are Windows compatible
unix shell commands. I think you have to hunt them down and install them

Any Unix based platform should understand this on the command line (assuming, like
I said, Sendmail or Postfix are present), including Mac OSX.