mail function problems

So - I have used php mail() easily for a long time. I have several piped scripts that work great, receiving a mail message, grabbing data from them and creating a mail message for me that always arrives. Recently I attempted to create a new mailbox for new mail messages and to have a copy of the working script/template do the same thing again for me. But - it doesn't work. The email reports true of course, but the email fails to arrive at my mailbox.

Found the mail.log ini setting and got it setup. Have two little test scripts running in diff folders that both find the mail.log file specified in the php.ini file in the one correct place and they both write an entry to it. BUT - my troubled script from above a) can't see the mail.log file (ini_get fails to return a value at all) and b) I still don't get an email

Is there something about a script triggered via an email (a pipe) that prevents it from seeing/using the same php.ini settings? The piped script has an ini file in its directory that points to the same file as the two test scripts. Even one of these test scripts resides in the same folder as my piped-to script. But the one triggered by email can't see the ini setting.

Please don't tell me to move to phpmailer. Can't seem to find an install that loads for me. Don't know why. Most of the writeups I read and tried (3 times!) don't match the results I get so I end up removing them. Besides - I have no difficulties using mail() usually. This is the first time my template has failed me and I'm losing my hair trying to figure it out. Thought perhaps the mail.log feature could help me and now even that doesn't work.