Re: what is the main difference between fread() and readfile()?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Negin Nickparsa <nickparsa@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Sincerely
> Negin Nickparsa
>

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Aziz Saleh <azizsaleh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Negin Nickparsa <nickparsa@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> fread
>>> (PHP 4, PHP 5)
>>>
>>> fread — Binary-safe file read
>>> Description ¶
>>> <
>>> http://us1.php.net/manual/en/function.fread.php#refsect1-function.fread-description
>>> >

>>> string fread ( resource $handle , int $length )
>>>
>>> fread() reads up to length bytes from the file pointer referenced by
>>> handle.
>>> Reading stops as soon as one of the following conditions is met:
>>> readfile
>>>
>>> (PHP 4, PHP 5)
>>>
>>> readfile — Outputs a file
>>> Description ¶
>>> <
>>> http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.readfile.php#refsect1-function.readfile-description
>>> >

>>> int readfile ( string $filename [, bool $use_include_path = false [,
>>> resource $context ]] )
>>>
>>> Reads a file and writes it to the output buffer.
>>>
>>> in which condition it's better to use them? I confronted a question that
>>> is
>>> asking which of the following functions reads the entire contents of a
>>> file?
>>>
>>> A.fgets
>>>
>>> B.file_get_contents
>>>
>>> C.fread()
>>>
>>> D.readfile()
>>>
>>> E.file()
>>>
>>> in my opinion the answer is B,C,D,E
>>>
>>> but the answer key is telling me the answer is B,D,E so fread for some
>>> reason is not the answer and I cannot understand.
>>>
>>> *john coggshall and Marco Tabini  test book*
>>>

>> file_get_contents, file, and readfile all take the filename location as
>> oppose to fgets/fread which require file pointers - requiring you to open
>> the file first (via fopen for example).
>>
> ​so fread is reading the entire file?​

No. fread reads a file pointer (not the file location). You can use
fread/fgets to read the entire file content, but you need to open a file
pointer first with fopen and know the size of the file with filesize.