assistance beyond the mailing list

I am curious if there is a list maintained of businesses and/or individuals who are for 'hire' to maintain or create php/MySQL creations? I live in a location where there are no practiced lamp individuals. googling (binging) turns up forums and examples and on-line help, but I can't seem to find anyone who specifically can dig into a php system (or advertises) for hire.

In my situation, I had a good friend who happened to be a php/mysql guru create me a php/MySQL system which is now generating errors; unfortunately he passed away. A prime example of why not to place all your marbles in one bag. I am keen to learn php, but in this particular situation it is more important to correct the problem promptly than to take the considerable time it will take to become familiar both the language AND his style.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.