Where am I ...

Not exactly a PHP problem, but a number of my sites are now being
plagued by the fallout from it.

gethostbyaddr($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);
Has worked perfectly for many years now, so I know exactly which Desk or
Counter is trying to log in, and I can  direct announcements to the
correct location.

Some of you will already have spotted the current problem ... VDI ...
This reports a host name based on the VDI desktop accessed from the
'farm' which whilst irritating since one has to keep changing it each
day, is actually changing even during a 'session' so a caller ticket is
accessed, and can take over an hour at times to deal with, by which time
the VDI number has changed, and you can't clear the ticket :(

We can switch to manually specifying the location as part of the login
process, butit's all to easy to select the wrong Desk especially if you
were working on an adjacent one a previous day.

To my way of thinking, the IP address should be for the physical machine
that we are working with? So if the MAC address has an IP address locked
to that machine then I should be able to simply drop back to that and
ignore the host name? But I'm being told that $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]
may not be the local IP address?

Anybody got some insight into how we can get around this problem? My
particular beef with the way things are currently being run is that the
networ team seem to have no idea in the case of a suspicious access
attempt even which building the offender is located let alone what desk,
and I can't believe that is acceptable security practice?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL