A little confusing thing on (mistakenly) geting a offset from string with multi dim index.

Greeting guys,

I got a problem on checking and getting a string with multi dim index (like
['blablabla']['blabla']). It confusing me, so I think I need to found an
answer to clear myself.

First of all, I known that is wrong to get something from a string using a
multi dim index or even a string index. I did it by mistakenly set a wrong
parameter. The parameter supposed to be array with string as index (That
will actually be a hashmap), but I setted a string on it.

As result, I got a warning raised: Illegal string offset.

It's normal since I use the string as index to attempt to getting something
from a string. But the strange thing is, I did the isset check before use
the index. It supposed to be hot pass the check, but it did.

So I made a shorter test here:
https://gist.github.com/raincious/682ba152dbd74537e323#file-stringisset-php

The test 1 is what I used in my application, it checks if the array index is
set and not empty in same time. A valid param for it should be like this:

$string = array(
    'check' => 'yes',
); // Please ignore the variable name

But when the $string truly turned to a string, it become the source of my
question.

Please notice that, on document:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.isset.php says, "Checking non-numeric
offsets of strings now returns FALSE." since 5.4, and I using 5.5.

So the test 3 (isset($string['check']) one) running as expected, it returns
false. However, the test1 (isset($string['check'][0]) one) is unfortunatly
not, It actually returnning true.

I'm not a experter of PHP and I even need other people's help to read PHP
source code, but in the information from the document and the talking with
other people gives me some guts to guess the $string['check'][0] actually
will be converted into $string[(int)'check'][0] and then into $string[0][0],
so the test 1 can be pass. Is that right?

So, what I want to know is, why there has two kind of behaviour for isset?
Maybe it's better to let the isset($string['check'][0]) and
isset($string['check']) both return false?

And sorry for my english, please ask if you confused by me.

Thank you,