Re: Re: Why does PHP consider the system's timezone unreliable, and is date_default_timezone_set() required?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Tim Streater <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2014 at 17:04, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 17 Feb 2014, at 16:55, Tim Streater <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> People shouldn't assume that all execution of PHP takes place on a
> server,
> >> because it doesn't.
> >
> > I'm not going to get in to the arguments for and against because it was
> done
> > to death at the time, but you must understand that your use case is
> incredibly
> > rare for PHP.
>
> You sure? I would have thought that as PHP is so easy to use, lots of
> people might write all their local command line scripts in it. I do - it
> would never occur to me not to.

Yeah, it's pretty rare.  Most people who find a need to write command line
scripts in Windows are programmers, who are probably going to use Python or
VB, or they're system administrators, and they're going to use something
like VB.  For Linux and Mac OS, you can do most things pretty simply with
shell scripting, and not have the hassle of running it through an
interpreter.  And I suspect that most people who are writing significant
scripts for command line in Linux or OSX are going to use Python these days
if shell scripting isn't powerful enough:  as much as I like PHP, Python
has some benefits there.