Re: Why does PHP consider the system's timezone unreliable, and is date_default_timezone_set() required?

On 17 Feb 2014, at 16:55, Tim Streater <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2014 at 16:46, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 17 Feb 2014, at 13:14, Martin Tournoij <martin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this somehow unreliable? This is all POSIX stuff, so I would expect it to
>>> work well on at least all POSIX sysyems, or am I missing something?
>>
>> It doesn’t mean unreliable in the technical sense, just that it’s very
>> common for the timezone of a server to be different from the timezone you
>> want, so it forces you to make a choice. This issue extends beyond shared
>> hosting to dedicated servers where the person who set it up hasn’t changed
>> the timezone from the default. PHP is simply reminding you to check that the
>> timezone is what you want it to be rather than being surprised when it appears
>> that the time is wrong.
>
> That may be a reasonable thing to do if your PHP is executing on a server. In my case it's on a user's machine and obtaining what the system thinks is the timezone value, just so I can tell PHP, has proved to be a pain in the bum. At least under unix (and so OS X) it seems I can look at what:
>
>  /etc/localtime
>
> (which is a link) equates to. I couldn't find any reliable way at all to do it under Windows.
>
> People shouldn't assume that all execution of PHP takes place on a server, because it doesn’t.

I’m not going to get in to the arguments for and against because it was done to death at the time, but you must understand that your use case is incredibly rare for PHP. To get around your issue you can use the following to use the system timezone without getting the notice:

date_default_timezone_set(@date_default_timezone_get());

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas