RE: Anyone have a tool/script to convert <? to <?php (but not <?=) [deprecated]

As far as I'm aware, <? Has been deprecated and so having code that relies
upon it could require us to stay at certain PHP version levels that support
it. Or has this idea been abandoned? I remember lots of flurry about it, but
as I recall it was over the confusion where people thought that <?= was
going away when it was only to be <? (which most people agreed was
acceptable to be rid of)

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.phptags.php
http://asoke.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/short-open-tags-will-be-removed-in-php
-6/