Re: IMAP and Anti Virus Scanning For File Attachments

On 4-2-2014 6:38, Ron Piggott wrote:
I am wondering what (or how) to protect from viruses when processing IMAP file attachments.  I am using PHP 5.5.7 and Arch Linux.

Ron Piggott

www.TheVerseOfTheDay.info

That depends on what you want to do with the attachments. How do you process them? Simple text files for example are unable to contain virusses and are thus harmless. The only times you really need to check for virusses is if you expect your attachment to be executed at some point.

If all you do is show "hey, there was an attachment of x.y kb included", then there's no need to even bother checking for virusses. At least, not until you run any service/program which might in turn attempt to execute the file (for some odd reason).

- Tul