Re: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in/usr/share/php/gettext/gettext.inc on line 177

On 1-2-2014 0:02, Érico wrote:
Hi

I am trying to access phpmyadmin

and I am getting the error :

Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in
/usr/share/php/gettext/gettext.inc on line 177

How can I enable mysqli in php and apache both compiled ?

Is there a step-through to solve this ?

Thks
Érico

Hi Érico,

phpmyadmin, although a very popular piece of code, is not something we (as a group) provide support for. That's just not what this group is for. We're here to help PHP developers / coders with their problems, not users of already written software.

That said, your problem is not with MySQLi not being enabled, but rather that you need the multibyte extension to be enabled (hence the mb_* functions not found). Ask your host about this.

Unless you are your own host: in that case, alter the php.ini file to enable the multibye extension. The mb extension is compiled-in by default, so unless you explicitly stated --without-mb during compilation, changing the php.ini file a bit is the only thing you have to do.

As for MySQLi, the same thing goes for this. Enable it in the php.ini file.

This page explains php.ini file changes:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.file.php

The PHP Documentation has a *lot* of information about this, try searching there.

- Tul