Re: Handling an email form

On 1/19/2014 11:40 AM, Jim Giner wrote:
I can create a valid html email containing a form and an input and
submit tag in it.  With this I wish to call a script on my website and
have it take the value of the input and update a record in a mysql
table.  The concept is pretty straight-forward, but I'm having no luck
with the execution.

For one thing - my email client insists on opening a new browser window
as soon as I click on the input tag.  That is probably some email
setting that I'll have to dig into.  And it does it again when I click
on the submit button.  But the real problem is that the script called
from this email form doesn't seem to respond.  I have tested the form
right from my website and it manages to call the script correctly and I
have echoed out my progress to verify my code works, but it just doesn't
happen from the email.

What's the trick - or can't this be done?
Well - for those with an interest here is what I have found.

1 - Can't seem to 'send' that email (html) form back to my target mailbox. Nor can I forward that mailbox to a php script and receive the post data.

2 - Can however change the form's action to be a 'mailto:' which DOES capture the post data from the form and send it as a GET string in a brand new email with the 'mailto' address all setup in the new email. With that, I can then just hit 'send' and the email goes to my designated mailbox where I can then execute my script to process the parms in the body of the message and my problem is solved.

So - it's not complete automated, but it's two click to create it and send it, then another on my website to process any outstanding emails in that inbox.