stat (): stat failed for ftp://...

Dear All,
I'm using PHP on my local Linux server (2.6.24-24) for years now
without any issues. The currently used version is PHP v5.4.23.

As I started to write a small php script which should request
information about files I ran into a problem as I tried to use
the stat() function on a FTP link.

The program always returns a "Warning: stat(): stat failed for
ftp://user:pass@ftp-server/path/filename"; message.

If I use the functions "ftp_connect - ftp_login - ftp_size - ftp_close"
these kind of failure doesn't appear and I'm able to access the
FTP server and the stored files.
I upgraded the PHP version, compared the PHP configurations, ran
further tests connecting to different FTP servers and also used
different machines but the only thing I discovered was, that it
works on some servers but not on mine.

I've searched the Internet to find the root cause of the problem and
read dozens of postings but haven't found any answer yet which allow
me to fix the problem.

Does anyone have an idea how I could isolate the cause of the problem?

Thanks
Juergen