Re: Re: PHP error on my site after transfer to another hosting

On 22-12-2013 21:55, Ryan Wagner wrote:
Did you tried turning off the E_NOTICE warning.

error_reporing(E_ALL || ~E_NOTICE);

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:49:42 +0200, EyeLand <ournet.biz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

look there the code of these files:

2) there is index.php file:
https://gist.github.com/eyeland/8b471bf7ca9f6f3f76a7#file-index-php
3) there is _design.php file:
https://gist.github.com/eyeland/26f3b57fb3b8d271beef#file-_design-php

2013/12/22 Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 12/22/2013 3:32 PM, EyeLand wrote:
<snip>
First - go to one of the files with an error, find the line # cited
and show
us the code that is there if you haven't figured it out by then.

Ok,

first of all;
Ryan: do NOT top-post. The mailinglist rules kindly ask you to *bottom-post*. So please do that in the future.

Second:
Telling someone to ignore errors is one of the most stupid suggestions you can make. Imagine going to a garage because your car makes a strange sound. If the mechanic tells you "have you tried ignoring it?". Would you be happy with that answer? hell no! I'd switch garages immediately.

Now, to the OP (=Original Poster); obviously, you have very very little knowledge of PHP and are afraid to look at the code yourself. The error messages are very clear on what is hapenning. In short: 1. "PHP Warning: extract() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /var/www/h1678/data/www/lounge.md/data/content/index.php on line 19"

This means that on line 19 of index.php: extract($pageApartments,'EXTR_OVERWRITE'); The second argument, which is 'EXTR_OVERWRITE' is a string, and not long (which is a type of number). This is because you used... a string (duh)... while the manual tells you to use a *constant* with the name EXTR_OVERWRITE (a constant is never enclosed in quotes!)

Remove the quotes and... whoa! it got rid of the error!! It's a miracle!

Next warning:
2. Undefined variable: apartments_title in /var/www/h1678/data/www/lounge.md/data/content/index.php on line 23

What might this mean? Well... I would hazard that apartments_title is simply... not defined... anywhere prior to being used. Your best bet would be to define it prior to using it. Comming back to the garage example; imaging coming back to the garage and asking "I came for my car", wouldn't their first response also be "which car do you mean?". Well, PHP also has no idea what that variable is, since it has never seen it before. If it knew, it wouldn't spew out the error.

All other warnings/notices/etc. are variations of these two.

The reason you might not have seen them before is most likely because your previous host hid the errors. This is possible, though very unwise. So well done on switching to a better host. Now try following the directions given in the warnings and notices.

- Tul