Question about best practices with regard to site structure and include/include_path

Greetings all,
I apologize if this email is really long. I manage a code base which
has been maintained by at least 5 lead developers over the last 3
years- all coming from different backgrounds and approaches. Moral of
the story- it is a scary ugly mess of a code base. I am in the process
of refactoring the site to make things cleaner and more organized with
the eventual goal of assuming an MVC or similar flavored OO
architecture but that is a long term goal. I have about 485 source
files to work with total.

Here is the question. Step one in my plan is to reorganize everything
and to centralize all of the site configuration. Eventually I will
move to using namespaces and autoloaders but for now I am required to
stick with include/requires. I am weighing out the costs and benefits
of using include/require with absolute paths defined vs. using
set_include_path.

My very strong inclination is to use set_include_path and specifify a
configuration folder (which I have already started using) and have
every script include a script which points to that. I was wondering if
there are any potential issues I should remain mindful of. I ask
because as I have been looking into this feature, I see a lot of
conflicting information regarding best practices. Here are the
parameters I have to work with (for better or worse):

1) I am not permitted to use a .htaccess file per department policy- I
may be able to set a path variable in httpd.conf but kinda want to
avoid it since server configurations make management very nervous.
2) Namespaces, while a long term goal, are not feasible right now
3) The directory structure will change in time, I need a solution
which refactors cleanly and safely (dynamically is nice too)

Thank you in advance.