Re: php.ini

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> re: changing ini settings.
>
> If my running script modifies an ini setting I currently believe that that
> changed setting will apply to that specific process and any others that run
> after that from that same folder (since i have an ini file in each folder
> currently).  Correct?
>
> And if I do make a setting change as above, it only affects the ini file
> and processes in that folder, thus leaving the setting unchanged in any and
> all other folders above that one.  Correct?
>
> And from the article pointed out to me, I get the impression that the
> search for ini files bubbles up from the executing folder.  If that is so,
> then am I correct in assuming that settings in the lowest ini file take
> precedence over any found in 'bubbled-up' ini files?
>

> --

Hi, Jim

Never mind my last paragraph ... I was thinking the wrong way of what you
wrote earlier.

I haven't tested it properly in every detail, but from the perspective of
what I know it's like you wrote.

The file that's mentioned as "php.ini" is the main configuration file of
your php-installation. It may be, that the user-ini file was renamed to
"php.ini" as well, but if you read about "php.ini", they always mean the
configuration-file that you see listed in the output of phpinfo() as
"Configuration File (php.ini) Path".

* You can rename the user-ini file by changing the user_ini.filename
setting in the php.ini file (as written on the page I linked you to)

* The php-settings are restored after/before each script-execution

* The manual doesn't catch if a user-ini file was found ... just that it
bubbles up to the document_root. Maybe the configuration found in user-ini
files is merged, or just the first file is taken.

* I don't know what happens to configuration you apply f.e. in nginx ... I
know neither when settings in php-fpm are applied ... that's something left
for testing, or until somebody finds the documentation explaining it (I
know there is one ...), but I guess they're applied after the php.ini and
before the user-ini files.
Examples are listed here:
http://php.net/manual/en/install.fpm.configuration.php#example-60

* What you set using set_ini() is just applied for the rest of the
currently running script.

Bye
Simon