fpdf problem?

I've been using fpdf to create pdf files for my site. All has been well for over a year. Suddenly I have a problem wherein IE 10 on W7 crashes when I try to print one of these pdfs created by my php scripts.

The pdf files that I create seem fine. If I bring one up in IE and then save it to my drive, I can then exit IE and go open the pdf and print it just fine.

I have removed my pdf printer drivers from my system and that hasn't improved my situation. No luck there.

The exact scenario is:
- script generates pdf and opens it in a new target window;
- user clicks on print toolbar icon or File,Print;
- print dialog opens; here I see some problems in that the (very complex) dialog is not displaying correctly with controls misaligned or overlaying other controls; - click on Ok to execute the print to printer and nothing happens; wait 5 minutes and still nothing; - NOW the problems begin; when the window with the pdf in it is closed, in about 2 seconds I get a dialog box telling me IE has stopped working.

Note that the problem only occurs when I attempt to print. If my script opens the pdf target window and I simply close it - no problems occur. BUT - if I actually open a print dialog I get a crash whether I click OK or Cancel, as soon as I close the window containing the pdf.

My question is does anyone have problems with fpdf lately? Since my files seem to be completely normal to adobe reader I don't think their content is at fault. It seems more like IE is not handling them and I can't find anything online about this.

I'm really hoping this is a problem wtih fpdf rather than IE since solutions are more apt to come out of this forum than the great wizards of M$ Oz.