Re: From 24/7/2013 to 2013-07-24

On 13-07-26 04:38 PM, jomali wrote:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On 13-07-26 11:42 AM, jomali wrote:

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Karl-Arne Gjersøyen <karlarneg@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

  Below is something I try that ofcourse not work because of rsosort.
Here is my code:
-----------------------
$lagret_dato = $_POST['lagret_dato'];
      foreach($lagret_dato as $dag){

          $dag = explode("/", $dag);
         rsort($dag);
          $dag = implode("-", $dag);
          var_dump($dag);

What I want is a way to rewrite contents of a variable like this:

  From 24/7/2013 to 2013-07-24

Is there a way in PHP to do this?

Thank you very much.

Karl

$conv_date = str_replace('/', '-','24/7/2013');
echo date('Y-m-d', strtotime($conv_date));
Result: 2013-07-24

It would be better if you reformatted first since this is ambiguous when
you have the following date:

     6/7/2013

Here's a completely unambiguous solution:

<?php

     $old = '24/7/2013';

     $paddy = function( $bit ){ return str_pad( $bit, 2, '0', STR_PAD_LEFT
); };
     $new = implode( '-', array_map( $paddy, array_reverse( explode( '/',
$old ) ) ) );

     echo $new."\n";

?>

Cheers,
Rob.

The original question was  about reformatting a European (Day/Month/Year)
date. Your solution does not address this problem. Mine assumes the
European date format explicitly.

Jomali,

Your solution is broken. The original poster requested the following:

Your solution makes use of the strtodate(). A useful strategy EXCEPT (as you have already noted) the date follows the European formatting rules of dd/mm/yyyy since the 24 as the first number makes that obvious. HOWEVER, you failed to realize the following (from the PHP online manual):

    Dates in the m/d/y or d-m-y formats are disambiguated by looking
    at the separator between the various components: if the separator
    is a slash (/), then the American m/d/y is assumed; whereas if
    the separator is a dash (-) or a dot (.), then the European d-m-y
    format is assumed.

And so, as soon as an abiguous date arises, the solution will be incorrect because strtotime() will presume an American format due to the appearance of the slash instead of the hyphen. It is dangerous to rely on magical functions like strtotime() unless you completely understand how ambiguity is resolved.

Another solution that was posted only re-ordered the elements and you likely noticed that there is a single digit 7 in the source date and in the response date it has been 0 padded to conform to the standard yyyy-mm-dd date format. The other solution does not do this and so it is also incorrect.

And so it follows, that my solution, thus far, is the only solution posted that actually meets the requirements. Why you think my solution does not perform is beyond me since a simple run of the code would output the correct answer (yes I did test)-- mine also presumes the European ordering for all input with components separated by a slash.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.