Re: /tmp/directory

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Tedd Sperling <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Tedd Sperling <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi gang:
>>>
>>> I should know this, but I don't.
>>>
>>> Where is the /tmp/ directory?
>>>
>>> You see, I have a client where his host has apparently changed the /tmp/
>>> directory permissions such that old php/mysql scripts cannot write to the
>>> /tmp/ directory anymore -- they did at one time.
>>>
>>> So, how do I fix it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> tedd
>>>

>> Switch host? /tmp is required by the FHS and POSIX standards (writable for
>> any user), any host changing that should have no customers.
>>
>> - Matijn
>

> Good point -- we will add that reason to the many other reasons why we are changing host.
>
> Keep in mind, the installed software worked for nearly a decade and now the host has changed something that caused this error, but the current host doesn't seem to know what happened.

    If it's /tmp, it's /tmp.  The leading slash indicates that it's in
the filesystem root.  However, if it's just tmp, then it could - and
probably is - under the client's home directory.  Unless they're
chrooted; then it could be displayed as /tmp, but would actually be
virtualized by the OS, where /tmp isn't really /tmp, but could be
/var/virtfs/user/tmp.

    Confusing?  Sure.  Off-topic for the list?  Sort of, but that's
easy enough to change.

    Since you can't use get_sys_temp_dir() on 4.3.10, you should
instead see if $_ENV contains an array key for TMP, TMPDIR, or TEMP.
Or, if you'd rather, you can use getenv('TMP') and the like.  It
doesn't mean that you'll get any useful information back (or anything
at all, necessarily), but it's another thing to try when using such an
antiquated version (I believe it was released at the end of 2004).

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager