Re: I am completely lost and need an advice (beginner)

2013/7/18 Carsten Jensen <tomse@xxxxxxxx>

> On 07/18/2013 09:08 PM, php colos wrote:
> > Hello world!
> >
> > I'm trying to learn PHP ( first programming language that I learn) and
> > I feel kinda lost. I've read PHP programming 3rd edition( O'reilly),
> > 'getting good with PHP' by Andrew Burgees and some tutorials on the
> > internet but can't code something more complex than 'hello world'.
> >

> > I do understand functions/values/operators/control structures, etc but
> > as I said, I feel that I can't use the language.
> > Am I reading the wrong books for a beginner?
> >
> > Any advices?
> >

> > *Apologies if this email might seem confusing. :)
> >
> > Richard
> >

> As others have mentioned, reading only isn't a good thing. You'll need
> to code alongside reading.
>
> You also might need to have a goal/project to motivate you to code.
> Starting small is a good thing. Or you could help out some of the
> smaller php projects that have only a few coders. Fixing bugs in a
> project can be a great help, and you'll learn a lot.
>
> If you don't have any project in mind, you can go to codecademy.com
> or some of the other interactive learning sites to start coding.
> I just checked, they've implemented PHP now, I haven't tried this. But
> the javascript course is great.
>
> cheers
> Carsten

Same here: Just reading doesn't help you very much.

You should also consider reading books about programming in general, or
even better get in contact with more (or less ;)) experienced programmers,
because in my experience learning the syntax and writing code is just a
very minor part. Its more important to know how to solve the problems (in a
way, that works tomorrow too ;)) is more important. And as a side effect
getting help can prevent frustration, if you are stuck in a problem ;)

Regards,
Sebastian