Re: Error checking ON

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Tedd Sperling <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> Considering:
>
> On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Since you state that you haven't made any changes to the system (in general), I'm going to guess that you modified an 'included' file and it has an error in it, such as an unmatched curly brace.  As Dan said, turn on all error checking and reporting and see what message you get.
>
> This is what I do for error checking:
>
>         ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL | E_STRICT);
>         ini_set('display_errors', 'On');
>         ini_set('log_errors', 'On');
>         ini_set('error_log', 'error_log');
>
> Is this:
>
> 1. Sufficient?
>
> 2. An overkill?
>
> 3. OK?
>
> 4. OR, better served with this (and provide an example).

    That's standard practice.  Sometimes, though, it isn't enough, and
we find ourselves using Derick's Xdebug, mod_top, or performing an
strace on either the execution or attached to a process.  For nearly
all cases, though, that's sufficient without being overkill (except
for production cases).

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager