json stream filter

Hi!

first post on the list, so please bare with me ;-)

we are handling a lot of cache files in our apps and use json to persist
those contents on the filesystem, because it seems to be the fastest
possible way to read/write files with PHP.

Since I discovered stream-filters, http://www.php.net/manual/en/filters.php,
we use those also for base64 encoding files before sending them over the
wire, which preserves a lot of memory and allows even bigger files.

Would it make sense to also have a native stream filter for fileformats
like JSON, to get maximum performance for reading/writing those (and also
to be able to write big files)?

Thanks,
Markus